Animal Behaviour and Welfare dynamics in a Changing Climate (2 Units)
Animal welfare is an integral part of livestock production which is often
underestimated especially in a developing economy like Africa which is
experiencing a continuous changing climate like the rest of the globe. Animal ethics including the rules and regulations guiding the production of animals in Nigeria and Europe should be taught. This course will deal with issues bothering down on impact of changing climate on the behaviour and welfare of different species of animals in their ecological niche.
- Comparing rules and regulations guiding the production and
handling of animals in Nigeria (Africa) and Europe
- Climate change
- Sustainability and probable effect on production of animals
Seasonal changes and effect on the welfare of animals viz a viz the
- Physical response of different species of animals
- Behavioural response of the animal
- Physiological response of different species of animals
- Nutritional adaptation of animals
- Reproductive capacity of different species of animals
- Hormonal balance
Controlling the environment, insulation and ventilation
- Energy exchange with the environment
- Thermo-neutral zone
- Air flow
- Air distribution
- Diffused Systems
Freedom: Behaviour of Animals
- What is normal behaviour?
- Do animals have behavioural needs?
- How can behavioural needs be assessed?
- What is environmental enrichment?
- How can it be supplied?
- Does it always improve an animal’s welfare?